CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

2 Weeks and Counting...

I can't believe that we leave TWO weeks from Friday!  Several people from the mission team left on Monday and a few others leave in the morning (including my dear friend Dwight who got me interested in this wonderful trip) so please keep them in your prayers as they are traveling!  It has truly been amazing to me these last few weeks as I have been helping the team get ready for the trip how much there is to do that I never imagined.  I would have never guessed in a million years that I would have been able to feel God's presence while counting out aspirin and packaging it for other people.  It is crazy how several weeks ago we were so short of items that we were going to take on the trip and suddenly they all started pouring in and we have almost met most of our goals now!

One of the things I am most excited about taking to Africa is something that has personal meaning to me.  My wonderful mother agreed to knit some scarves for the women who are AIDS patients in Africa that we are going to visit.  I could tell she was a little worried at first about time when I told her that we needed 15-20 scarves in about 2 months time but sure enough before I knew it she was giving me 19 beautiful hand made scarves that she poured her love into while making each one!  I can't wait to take them over and get some pictures of the women in Malawi wearing the scarves.  Here are a few pictures of them before they got packed...




I also got a list of items that I need to pack to take to Africa (in my 15lb carry on and back pack...yikes that's not a lot of space)!!!  So...I am going to take a moment to beg and borrow here becuase my thought is that some of you may have the things that I need and maybe would let me borrow them so rather then spending money on buying these things I can take more money on the trip with me so here goes!!  If anyone has any of the items below and you are willing to let me borrow them PLEASE let me know, it would be greatly appreciated and might even get you a little gift from Malawi (yes I'm willing to bribe you)!!
* A "carry-on" size suit case
* deet (bug spray) wipes
* money belt that will fit under clothing
* blow up pillow for the plane
* baby powder
* eye drops
* light weight flashlight
* small bottles of hand sanitizer
* a plug convertor
I realize that some of these things are things you may not want me to return but thought if anyone has them laying around the house and are not using them they could go to a good cause!!

3 comments:

Jill said...

I have a plug converter that we took to Korea. Not sure if it's the same one you will need there. If you can check (we just went into Radio Shack, maybe you could call) and ask if it's the same type of converter, then I'd be happy to let you borrow it.

The Hines Family said...

We have baby powder, eye drops, and I'm pretty sure we have small bottles of hand sanitizers.

Those scarves! Amazing! Your mom's the best! :-)

Vickie said...

I have a suitcase and a backpack. Let me know if you want to stop by after school someday!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so excited for you!